THE TYLER FLORENCE WAY
· ACTIVE: 1 HR 15 MIN
· TOTAL TIME: 4 HR 30 MIN
· SERVINGS: 6 TO 8
To make his phenomenal fried chicken, Tyler Florence first bakes it low and slow, so it's juicy. Then he coats the chicken pieces in seasoned flour and fries them in oil flavored with garlic and herbs.
1. 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons kosher salt
2. 1/4 cup freshly ground pepper
3. 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4. 1 1/2 tablespoons minced rosemary, plus 4 medium sprigs
5. 1 1/2 tablespoons minced thyme, plus 4 sprigs
6. 1 1/2 tablespoons minced sage, plus 4 sprigs
7. 5 minced bay leaves, preferably fresh, plus 5 whole leaves
8. 3 garlic cloves, minced, plus 1 head, broken into cloves
9. Two 3-pound whole chickens
10. 1 quart buttermilk
11. 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
12. 1 teaspoon sugar
13. Grapeseed or vegetable oil, for frying
14. 2 cups all-purpose flour
15. 1/2 cup rice flour
16. 1/4 cup garlic powder
17. 1/4 cup onion powder
18. Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
19. Lemon wedges, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 200°. In a bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons of the kosher salt with 2 tablespoons of the pepper, the olive oil and the minced rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaves and garlic. Rub the mixture all over the chickens and set them in a roasting pan. Roast for about 2 hours and 30 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thighs registers 150°. Let the chickens cool, then cut each into 10 pieces. (You should have 4 drumsticks, 4 thighs, 4 wings and 8 breast quarters.)
2. In a very large bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the hot sauce and sugar. Add the chicken pieces and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of grapeseed oil to 375° with the rosemary, thyme and sage sprigs, the 5 whole bay leaves and the head of garlic. When the herbs are crispy and the garlic is golden, transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
4. Meanwhile, whisk the all-purpose and rice flours in a large bowl with the garlic and onion powders. Whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons of kosher salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons of pepper.